| History

One of the country’s earliest downtown skyscrapers, Newark’s Military Park Building was the tallest structure in New Jersey when it was completed in 1926. Designed by noted New York-based architects Polhemus & Coffin, the office building at 60 Park Place totals 250,000 square feet on 21 floors. The historic tower was extensively renovated in 2001, and again in 2008.

The Berger Organization’s Military Park Building takes its name from adjacent Military Park, a six-acre triangular downtown city park bounded by Park Place and Rector and Broad streets. From 1667 through 1869, the site served as a training ground for soldiers, before becoming the town commons. In November, 1776, the Continental Army of General George Washington camped at the site, regrouping from its retreat from New York. It was at Military Park that General Washington’s forces prepared for the cross-colony march that was to result in the famous Christmas Eve Crossing of the Delaware prior to subsequent victories in the Battles of Trenton and Princeton. It was also here that Thomas Paine began penning his famous tome, The American Crisis.

Today, a marker notes the site of the home of Washington confidante and eminent jurist Elisha Boudinot, who subsequently hosted General Lafayette in 1824. The tower of the adjacent Trinity Church dates to the revolutionary era, and within Military Park is the famed Wars of America monument, fashioned by Gutzon Borglum, sculptor of Mount Rushmore. Other landmarks include statues of revolutionary-era soldier and statesman Frederick Frelinghuysen and Civil War hero General Philip Kearny, and a bust of John F. Kennedy, erected in 1965.

Be Sociable, Share!